Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Southwest Quinoa Chopped Salad with Chicken and Creamy Salsa Dressing

My sister in law shared this recipe with me (Thank you Charisse!)
She got it from a 'cooking with grains' class.
IT IS SO GOOD!
The best quinoa recipe I've EVER had!


Southwest Quinoa Chopped Salad with Chicken and Creamy Salsa Dressing
Recipe from Charisse Moore

1 c. quinoa
1 tsp. sea salt
1 c. salsa
1/2 c. sour cream or yogurt
3 Tbsp. chopped cilantro
2 tsp. extra-virgin olive oil
juice and zest from 1 lime
sea salt to taste
2 c. rotisserie chicken, cubed or shredded
1 c. black beans, rinsed
1/2 red or orange bell pepper, chopped
1 c. corn
1 avocado, chopped
1 large tomato, chopped
1 large head romaine or iceburg lettuce
cilantro and lime wedges for garnish

Bring 1 1/2 c. cold water to a boil.
Rinse quinoa (for instructions on how to do so, click here)
Put quinoa and salt in boiling water.
Bring back to a boil.
Cover and reduce to a simmer, cooking for about 15 minutes.
Turn off heat and let sit, covered, for about 5 minutes.
Drain in fine mesh strainer and set aside to cool.

Place salsa, sour cream, cilantro, olive oil, lime juice and lime zest in a blender.
Pulse until smooth.
Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Put in fridge to chill.

Toss cooled quinoa with chicken, beans, pepper, corn, avocado and tomato.
Add just enough dressing to coat evenly.

Serve over chopped lettuce.
Garnish with lime and cilantro.

** This salad can be served chilled, but I prefer it served immediately, or at room temperature.  Because of this, if you are planning on having leftovers, I would leave the tomatoes and avocado out, since they don't reheat well.  Just serve them as a garnish.

3 comments:

  1. HI, I saw this recipe on Utah Hive and had to check it out. I am in love with Quinoa and this sounds awesome! I can't wait to make it! In fact, I have everything for it in my pantry/fridge and so it might just be dinner tonight. Yum! I can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Saw this recipe on the Hive and have tons of quinoa left over from a class I taught. I have all of these ingredients and will have to try it out. Thanks for posting this!

    Traci
    HealthyDealsNSteals.com
    BurntApple.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds really yummy. It has all the things I love including cilantro. Thanks. Joni

    ReplyDelete