Sunday, November 1, 2009

Sugar Cookie Dough with Almond Icing

My husband LOVES these cookies; which is odd, since he seems to dislike every other dessert.  I think they are delicious (just like every other dessert).  Come to think of it, I haven't met anyone who doesn't love these... they are soft, moist, and smothered in frosting.  How can you go wrong with that?

Sugar Cookie Dough
2/3 c. butter, softened
1 c. sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp. baking soda
¼ c. milk
1 tsp. vanilla
¼ tsp. salt
4 c. flour

Cream butter and sugar. Add eggs. Dissolve the baking soda in the milk and add to the creamed mixture. Add vanilla. Add flour and salt slowly.
Chill for 2 hours in the refrigerator, or 1 hour in freezer.
Remove from fridge and knead until dough warms/softens.
Roll out 1/4” thick.  Cut out with cookie cutters, or use the rim of a glass for circles.  Place on greased baking sheet.
Bake at 350 for 9 minutes.
Frost with Almond Icing and top with sprinkles, etc.
Makes 2 dozen fist sized cookies.

Note: We like them really thick at our house.  If you prefer a more thin, crisp cookie, roll out to 1/8" thick, and decrease cooking time by 1 or 2 minutes.

Almond Icing:
1/3 c. shortening
3 c. powdered sugar
1 Tbsp. + milk
1 tsp. almond extract

Mix shortening and sugar with beaters until incorporated.  Add milk and beat unil combined  Add almond extract and beat until smooth.  Add more milk if icing is too thick, until desired consistency is reached.

Note: I must say that I have NEVER once measured these ingredients... I just throw it all in a bowl and mix it up.  If it is too wet, I add more sugar.  To dry, add more milk.  You'll have to expirament to get your desired consistency.

1 comment:

  1. As a matter of fact, I made the cookies for Halloween, and we have devoured them! I always think of you when I make them - (remember the good ol' days!) So good to see you and your cute family. Love you, Stacy

    ReplyDelete